The annual competition for the Howard and Mathilde Rovelstad Scholarship is now under way. TWO scholarships are available.
Students who have completed at least 6 credits in the LIS Master’s in Library and Information Science program by the end of the spring semester of 2021 are eligible to apply. The number of credits left to complete the program will be a factor in the committee’s decision, weighing in favor of candidates with the greater number of credits remaining in the program.
Application Documents (three in total)
- A statement of achievements, career interests and goals. The statement must be no more than 750 words.
- A detailed curriculum vitae. Applicants are encouraged to include volunteer activities, association memberships, attendance at professional conferences and workshops, and similar activities.
- Contact information (email addresses, telephone numbers and affiliations) of two references that are willing to write letters of recommendation for the applicant. At least one of the references must be a full-time LIS faculty member. The Rovelstad Scholarship Committee will request letters of recommendation from references of those candidates selected for interviews.
Documents should be emailed to Jane Zhang, Associate Professor, and Chair of the Scholarship Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org
All application documents must be received by the close of business on Friday, May 21, 2021.
Evaluation Criteria and Process
The Committee will base its decision on evaluation of the following:
- Academic achievement in the LIS program
- Demonstrated commitment to the profession as evidenced in course work, personal statement, curriculum vitae, and letters of recommendation
- Potential for success as evidenced in all application documents
- Indication of financial need
Interview: The Rovelstad Scholarship Committee will interview a small number of finalists before selecting the scholarship recipients. Applicants selected for interviews are expected to be available via Zoom on June 21 or June 22, 2021.
Mid-April – Announcement of competition
Mid-May – Reminder of deadline
May 21 – Deadline for submission of applications
May 26 - First screening decision, invitation for reference
June 9 – Reference letters due
No later than June 14 – Notification of selected candidates for interviews
June 21 or June 22 – Interviews/decision (virtual via Zoom)
No later than June 28 – Announcement of the winners
Contact for Questions
Please email any questions to the Scholarship Committee Chair, Jane Zhang, at email@example.com.
Rovelstad Scholarship Committee
Dr. Jane Zhang
Dr. Ingrid Hsieh-Yee
Dr. Deanna Marcum